Sunday, January 18, 2009
HappinessHappiness is like the 'key' to my life. Without it, one would feel souless, restless or even helpless. People always ask me what I want in life. And I would always answer them, 'happiness'. And then next comes the question - "So, what makes you happy?"
Well, there are many little things in life that makes me smile, melt my heart. Spending time with people dear (family, friends, etc) to me makes me happy. Lazing around on a beach makes me more than happy. Travelling makes me feels like I'm on the top of the world. Indulging in a story book with a cup of cappuccino makes me happy. The laughter and innocence from a child makes me happy. A simple completion of a task makes me happy. Shopping makes me happy. And of course the list goes on and on.
You may say that I'm easily contented or I'm happy with the simplest things in life. I used to take things pretty hard and am affected greatly by failures, heartbreaks, etc. I guess I've changed over the years into someone more light-hearted. I try not to have much expectations from people.
I finished reading the book - 'Eat, Pray, Love' some months ago. And there are quotes on happiness from the book which I find it amazingly true:
"We search for happiness everywhere, but we are like Tolstoy’s fabled beggar who spent his life sitting on a pot of gold, begging for pennies from every passerby, unaware that his fortune was right under him the whole time. Your treasure – your perfection – is within you already. But to claim it, you must leave the busy commotion of the mind and abandon the desires of the ego and enter into the silence of the heart."
and
"People universally tend to think that happiness is a stroke of luck, something that will maybe be descend upon you like fine weather if you’re not fortunate enough. But that’s not how happiness works. Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings."
- By Elizabeth Gilbert
So remember, happiness is the consequence of personal effort! :)
12:42 PM